||The Opportunity:The Managing Director will lead the operation and oversee the administrative, educational and horticulture staff of Shangri La Botanical Gardens and Nature Center so that its continuing growth and success is ensured and is consistent with its mission and goals.
- Will provide active and diligent financial management and operational stewardship
- Will represent Shangri La in the local community and among peer institutions in a professional manner that promotes a positive reputation and facilitates a high level of respect regarding its facilities and programs
- Will be directly responsible for overseeing staff in the areas of horticulture, education, visitor services, and volunteers
- Will work with Stark Foundation staff in areas of finance, legal/compliance, maintenance, food and retail services, marketing, and membership
- Will present an annual business plan with stated goals and objectives and a supporting fiscal year budget with clearly delineated expense projections; will manage the budget throughout the year
- Will, together with staff, create a rich calendar of programs, coupled with smart budgeting, that brings an expanding public to the garden for educational, horticultural, cultural and recreational events
- Will cultivate current corporate supporters of Shangri La and develop additional support by local industry and the business community through corporate memberships, sponsorships and related opportunities
- Will develop employees to be the best, delegating appropriate responsibility while maintaining accountability
- Will work with Stark Foundation marketing to grow memberships, admissions, attendance at special events, donors, and strategic partners
- Will find innovative ways to have the garden become a botanical destination and attraction
||Experience and Qualifications:The successful candidate is expected to be a strong leader who will continue to develop Shangri La into an outstanding educational facility and eco-tourist attraction, who will undertake financial management for the Gardens, and who will engage and manage an exceptional staff.
- Highly respected in botanical garden industry
- A minimum of 10 years of progressive public garden administration experience; hands on knowledge and experience
- An undergraduate degree in an appropriate discipline is required and an advance degree is preferred.
- Strong business background understanding pricing structures, control staffing, budgeting,
- Has a passion for gardens and the outdoors tempered by sound business decisions
- Successful long term planning experience and implementation
- Has demonstrated communication skills across all levels of the organization and be comfortable and confident in public forums.
- Proven manager with strong experience and ability to attract, hire and develop excellent staff
- Salary will commensurate with experience and qualifications. The Stark Foundation offers an excellent benefits package including medical, dental, life and disability insurances, defined benefit pension, 403(b) retirement savings plan, vacation, and sick leave.
To apply, please send your resume, letter of interest and names of three references to email@example.com. To learn more about this position contact: Kathleen Hardey, Human Resources Manager, 409-883-3513 ext. 2022.